Sunday, September 5, 2010

Welcome To Abu Dhabi -- I'm here!



The journey began on September 4, 2010.
After a tearful goodbye to my boyfriend, Troy, as well as my mom, dad and sister, I went to bed and woke up the next day to head to Abu Dhabi.



My parents took me from Cincinnati to the airport in Columbus where I flew to JFK and then took a 14 hour flight to Abu Dhabi. Etihad Airlines was wonderful. The individual TVs at each seat made it enjoyable. According to their promos, there was over 600 hours of programming to choose from. Movies, TV shows, albums. Believe me, there was something to entertain everyone. I watched the movie DATE NIGHT and began MY FAMILY WEDDING (fell asleep). We received two meals.
When I arrived in Abu Dhabi, the customs/visa stuff was smooth. We got a retina scan for identification too. Then we waited for our luggage. Thank God every piece arrived for me. I didn't hear that anyone DIDN'T get all their luggage. Al-Hamdu-lilah! (By the grace of God)
Then we were herded onto a bus that took us to the Fairmont Hotel. This place is 5-star for sure. I'm so grateful. Check the pics below. I mean, that bathroom is like a spa!





I have begun to hang out with a core group at this time. The four of us are going to breakfast together. I feel like they look out for me. Very Sex and the City 2. At 33, I'm the youngest in the group.

None of us have our placements yet. Will know in 3 days. I am working on my Arabic and speaking to anyone who is patient enough with me to help.
I went to Marina Mall and the Carrefour (French version of Wal-Mart)and it was enjoyable. It would be more enjoyable if I had more filoos (money) to spend.
There were beautiful clothes, plenty of school items and anything you would want to eat.



I have also been going to the gym every morning at 6 AM. One thing that I want to accomplish while I am here is to lose weight. I think this will be entirely possible because my eating habits will be dramatically different here.
What's great about this journey is that myself and everyone is starting a fresh, new life and I think that's why we're here.
It's not just about the filoos (money) of course that's great and all..but I believe that for many of us, we are trying to escape our old life and begin anew. No matter where we're from, the US, UK, Australia..etc.. I think many of us are from THE VALLEY. Whether it's a career valley, love life valley or the valley of dependence the picture I get from talking to people is that they all feel like this journey will help them leave their old life behind. Out of the valley and up to the mountain of peace and prosperity.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to my new home: Abu Dhabi! We MUST get together soon! Do you know your placement yet??? Call me!

    ReplyDelete